Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Elephant nature park... I am worried now

I booked an overnight stay for my husband and I at the elepant nature park months ago due ot the amazing reviews. Even thought it was very expensive for one night (almost $400 usd) I decided it was worth it because the money was going to a good cause. The image that in my mind was that this was place where their primary purpose was to rescue and nurse elephants and give them a place to live in peace. I thought that each day small groups would visit and interact and learn about the elepnants. That is why I booked our overnight visit.

New reports that I am reading claim that this place has turned into a major tourist trap. At times there are 30 people in a group, all pushing and shoving to feed the elepnants. 10 people at a time trying to wash one poor elephant.There is only 45 minutes of interaction, the rest of the time is just standing around... This is not what I signed up for. I am not one who enjoys crowded touristy places.

I am leaving for Chiang Mai this week.

Has anyone been to the park in the last few months? Can you ease my mind? Or should consider canceling my stay and just donating some money to them?

Elephant nature park... I am worried now

Why not go to the Elephant Conservation Center in Lampang ? They are much cheaper and more genuine and if you have donations to make that%26#39;s a far better choice.

Elephant nature park... I am worried now

I went to the park in late October 2006 and there was only 10 in our group. They do want to show you an hour long documentary about the place when you are there. I opted out as I had seen it already on Discovery Channel. I did sit on their shaded verdanda and watch the elephants until we were taken for a walk to river to help bathe them.

What you have heard is probably because it has been high season and it does cost a fortune for the upkeep of the elephants let alone paying extortion prices to their ';mahouts'; to try and buy them to get them out of the abusive situations they live in.

I am going again mid April and I intend on going back but I don%26#39;t expect that many people as it is the hottest season and tourism is lower.

The trouble with the other parks is that they do allow tourists to ride and some of the elephants do that all day long (even pregnant ones which are by law supposed to have ';maternity'; leave). You also have to watch them perform tricks which are taught and then controlled by cruel (hooks and knives) methods.

So you really have weigh what your motives are for going and what you ultimately are going to do for the elephants.

Enjoy it is an amazing experience.


Our family of 4 did a day trip to ENP in January 2008. On that day there were about 24 day visitors plus about 8 or so volunteers present. We shared an elephant between 2 ppl as one could take photos and then swap over. Each elephant has about 35kg worth of fruit to be fed to them. When it came to bathing there were about 10 - 12 elephants in the river and we did not feel crowded. There were 2 bathing experiences and each lasted as long as the elephant wanted to lay down in the water. There was plenty of standing/sitting around and watching the elephants in their natural surroundings and playing in the mud pit as well as listening to their stories. We did not feel that it was crowded. There were 32 elephants on about 50 acres. It was both an educational and inspirational day. It was the highlight of our holiday.


mlbubeena

I would not really worry about the reports.. just go and enjoy the experience for what it is.. sometimes these things just come down to our own attitude.. I loved it last time and will be there again in a few weeks... Like you said the money is for a GREAT cause...

reet xx


Hi mlbubeena

I went to the Elephant Nature Park last April and absolutely loved it. There were probably about 20 in our group but it did not feel crowded at all. My friend and I were able to feed an elephant to ourselves and the platform where you feed them did not feel crowded. When it was time to bathe the elephants, there were probably 8 or so of them that were close enough for all of to wash. There was never more than 2-3 people per elephant.

I would say that the ENP was one of the highlights of my trip. It was amazing to see these beautiful creatures in a habitat where they could wander freely. I learned so much about them and how horribly they are treated when forced to perform tricks or take people on rides. In fact the day after I went to the ENP was the day we left for our jungle trek and my friend and I refused to ride the elephants after learning about what they go through.

I would definitely recommend going to stay the night at the ENP.


I spent a day there on Jan 31 and it was one of the highlights of my trip. A couple staying at the same place I did spent the night and really liked it. There were 2 groups of about 12 people with 3 guides. We were given a lot of information about the elephants, observed them close up and had 2 opportunities to feed them as well as 2 opportunities to bathe them. Not many opted in for the second bathing due to rain and the elephants were not even much interested in going to the river since it was raining

The cost of feeding the animals and upkeep is astronomical. The price to buy a baby elephant is unbelievable. Lek turned to tourism to support her efforts to save the elephants. It is far from a tourist ';trap';. go and enjoy the day. You will love it.

Marylou


Follow up to my post.

We just returned from our amazing trip to Thailand.

We had a wonderful time, and especially loved the serenity of Northern Thailand.

I wanted to follow up to my initial post regarding my questions about the Elephant Nature Park in Chiang Mai.

In summary, it was an amazing experience. I do not know who the uptight people are that have complained about this place, but I found this place to be a once in a lifetime experience. The work they are doing there for these amazing animals is very admirable. Yes, the place is expensive to Thai Standard , but I would rather spend my money there than anywhere else in Thailand, as it truly is going to a very good cause AND WORTH EVERY PENNY.Yes, there were quite a few people there, but it did not take away from our experince. We had lots of firsthand contact with the elephants. We were able to feed them, bathe them and watch them play. There was never a dull moment. I have read of people complain that they were bored after 45 minutes. I cannot understand why. Everyone there was engaged and fascinated with the experince during the entire duration of the day. We even spent the night. I would hightly reccomend that, as we learned so much during our morning walk with the elephants.

My advice to others who are considering the ENP. Do it! You will not regret. Also, for those of you worried about the video- it is optional. No one makes you watch it, and it is only about 20 minutes long and they show it at the very end of the day.


I also had a great time at the park! It was an amazing experience. And I%26#39;m so glad Elephant Nature Park doesn%26#39;t offer elephant rides(!).

The park is intended to help the elephants get re-accustomed to living in a safe place, living with humans rather than ';for'; humans. Hopefully, some will return to the jungle.

There are park visitors who want a day filled with activities; this isn%26#39;t an amusement park. Others have only a short time visiting Thailand and don%26#39;t like hanging out watching the elephants for too long. The preverbial vacation clock is ticking.

It%26#39;s a two hour drive from Chiang Mai, so a full day is needed. The lunch was incredible! I watched some of the video, and left when they showed how owners break the elephant%26#39;s spirit - had to leave the room. Went outside, talked with others, watched the elephants, watched the elephants play with the mahouts. Visiting the park was an amazing experience!


I%26#39;m glad to hear such good and positive reports about this place. The family has been excited about the place since I found it on the internet some 6 months ago.

We are visiting in early july, and now I am looking forward to it more than ever!

Chris


Hi again,

I too have just come back from the Elephant Nature Park and am so glad tht you had a positive experience mlbubeena.

Its true that the numbers have increased since I last visited (my first visit was in Dec 06 and my 2nd visit was March 08) but having seen the negative posts on here I was keen to chat to them and find out the real story.

Luckily for me Michelle was still around. Michelle was my original %26#39;guide%26#39; for the day, who now is in a %26#39;higher%26#39; capacity there, with Thai guides who do the groups. I bought up the negativity from here which she was already aware of.

She said that while it would be fantastic to still be doing small groups of 6-8 people for the day, the reality is that in order for them to survive, to feed the elephants the huge amount of food they have each day, and to continue to support projects to raise awareness of the Elephants plight, it is necessary to expand, like any business.

What I experienced was nothing short of professional. We were all given a safety talk prior to having contact with the elephants, we were looked after by a guide in groups of 10-12 (only 2 groups this day), and my experience was no less than the amazing first trip...

The ENP is doing a fantastic job, and I urge anyone who has the time to go out there and see for yourself. Its not about being %26#39;amused%26#39; for the full 8 hours.. its about experiencing something that is relaxing, fun and you can leave knowing that your money is going to a really good cause. I would much rather experience a day of watching HAPPY elephants than riding a elephant and an ox cart for a couple of hours... :-)

Reet xx

PS I should have my photos and blog up about my day in the next 24 hours if anyone is interested! www.travelblog.org/bloggers/reet

  • man makeup
  • curly hair styles
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment