Thursday, April 19, 2012

Travellers cheques sterling or dollars??

I know you are going o say dont use them , use your debit cards in bona fide banks, but having being stung by fraud here in the uk, I dont want to tempt fate by using credit cards feely while in Thailand!





So we are planning to take travellers cheques but I am not sure whether to take sterling tc%26#39;s or usd??





Can anyone advise??





Thanks in advance



Travellers cheques sterling or dollars??


If you insist on t/c%26#39;s then being from Britain, you would bring them in Pounds.





To do otherwise would only cost you money and serve no useful purpose at all.



Travellers cheques sterling or dollars??


Hmmm now when I went yesterday to enquire, they asked me I wanted USD or Sterling, I said I didnt know!!!!





Whats the difference??? Other than exchanging them back on my return???





Thanks, From a very red faced embarassed sunfunmum!!!




Before making our permanant move here, we used to bring cash but also understanding the slight risk of being robbed etc, you do get a slightly better rate with T/c%26#39;s but then you have to pay a commission on buying and selling but Sterling whether cash or T/c%26#39;s is much the better bet as if you change to Euro%26#39;s or Dollars you%26#39;ll have extra charges with no advantages. As for Debit cards etc, it depends on who you use, some will be recognised, some won%26#39;t depending on whose machine you use, some will have a restriction on the daily amount you can withdraw and some will even withdraw the facilities if you don%26#39;t notify them that you%26#39;ll be in Thailand.



Personally i say bring Sterling in cash but be aware of the very slight risks involved.




Personally, I rely on ATMs on my frequent visits to Thailand. They%26#39;re the most convenient way of getting travel cash. I haven%26#39;t used travellers cheques in years. I carry a bit of home-currency cash for emergencies.





But if you must use TCs, then get them in your home currency, in this case British pounds, and not dollars. Otherwise, you pay a fee to exchange to dollars, then another fee to exchange to baht. Anyway, the dollar is no longer the hard currency it was, and the pound is a well-recognized currency everywhere.




hi sunfunmum,



we have been going to thailand for past 3 yrs and always take T/c%26#39;s,we also take some baht as well.It does%26#39;nt cost much to change your T/c%26#39;s (sterling).



We are going back to Hua Hin in august,when are you going.



Chris.




Thank you kindly for all your replies, you%26#39;re a very helpful bunch!





We fly to Bangkok in 10days time for 3 nights then onto Hua Hin for a further 7 nights. Trying to get my head around both Bangkok and Hua Hin forums to get all the info I can, ( I was a girl guide once and like to be prepared lol!) I Understand it is Thai new year on the 12th April which is the day after my daughters 17th birthday, celebrations all round then!



So part Baht and part sterling T/c%26#39;s then !I think I%26#39;ll be nmeeding quite a bit of both for just my daughters birthday pressie!!





Thanks !




mum, all t/c%26#39;s in pounds... no t/c%26#39;s in baht period.




And a further tip, don%26#39;t buy your Baht%26#39;s in the UK, you%26#39;ll get a much better rate in Thailand and you can get them at the airport as soon as you go through immigration.




Hi sunfunmum,



glad you have got the money all sorted,you will get a lot of designer(lol)gear for your daughter out there,spend spend spend,lol.



Have a great time.



Bon voyage,Chris.




Lol I meant baht casn not T/c S !!!!!!!!!





Thanks for the tip re exchange at the airport!


  • eye creams
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment