Thursday, April 19, 2012

Battering and tailors in Chewang

Hi, I was hoping to get a couple of items made during our holiday in Ko Samui. I understand that battering is done at normal stores and markets - is it the same for the tailors? if so what should be the first counter offer - 50% 25% off the original price?

Battering and tailors in Chewang

Do you want to barter with the tailor or beat him up?

Battering and tailors in Chewang

Please do the later as they as a pain in the rear. by the time you have had them at you for the length of your stay you will want to.

They are one of my pet hates in Thailand.


I totally agree they dont leave you alone.Sometimes its just best to ignore them.Depends what you want i supose.


Where is Chewang?

It%26#39;s Chaweng!

There are so many so called tailors in Chaweng,but very few of them actually make the clothes.

Do a forum search for tailors you will find some decent recommendations.


The thing that really gets up my nose is when they follow me down the street imitating a cockney accent. I live in lancashire in the UK !

They won%26#39;t take no for an answer and if I wanted anything making I would seek them out.

I have seen the result of some of these high priced ';garments'; and the dresses are so old fashioned.

I have also heard tales of what people have paid. OMG !

My husband is convinced that they are a front for something elase as there never seems to be anyone in them.

I start off politly refusing but i have to be honest I end up being rude to get rid of them.

Mind you I found them to be mild to the ones in phuket who were very very disagreeable.


hahaha that a good laugh


Totally agree they are right pain the neck! We stayed at the Centara Grand and would highly reccomend it with is beautiful gardens, beach, rooms and lovely staff. BUT in the evening I can say the tailoring shops were an absolutel pain in the butt! It was on of bif reasons I will never return to Chaweng. There was one particular persistent chap who had a shop at the Centara parade at the front of the hotel who we walked past every evening, he verged on aggresively annoyingly. I dont mind a polite offer of their services, but if I say no thank you I object to being followed down the street with them going on and on and on and on!!!!! It got to the point where I dreaded leaving the hotel at night! How ridiculous is that! And yet all the other shops run by Thais are fine! Why is this??


Ps

Sorry for all the typos, only got home 3 days ago and clearly my typing fingers are on strike!


weloveholidays you are correct they can be persistent. However I find if you firmly tell them you are not interested or even if they leave you alone you will get something later in your holiday they will leave you alone. If the tailors are a major put off I guess that precludes any Thailand holidays as I can assure they are worse in Phuket - Bangkok is big enough but then you have to run the gauntlet at the night markets.

Perhaps your next holiday could be elephant trekking in the jungle??


Phuket is definatly worse. The tailors tend to be Asian (indian) and do not have the milder non confrontational style of the Thais.

  • spot fake timberlands
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment