Thursday, April 19, 2012

insect bites

hi guys only 12 days to go,first time to phuket would like to know if anyone has suffered with insect bites and if insect repellent and after sun is expensive in thailand cheers



insect bites


Hi,





Mozzies can be a real problem, depending where you are etc. You must assume the worse and wear a good insect repellent with a DEET content of around 25-30%. This is your tropical strength stuff.





Yes you can buy it over there and the cost is negligible in my opinion. I play a lot of golf over there and with all those lakes etc, insects can be a problem so I consider myself at med/high risk of a mozzie bite or two. I bring some stuff over which I get from the Travel doctor over here because I have gotten used to a certain brand etc.





My Doctor has highly recommended that I always wear an insect repellent whilst I am over there.





Have a safe trip





Niko



insect bites


most things are available in Thailand, seeing that you come from the UK there is a Booths on the Beach RD



,May I give you a tip instead of worrying about after sun get some 30plus suncreen and slap it on before you go in the sun.



I have been to Phuket many times and I shudder when I see the silly europeans cooking themselves in the sun by the pool or on the beach.



I am from Australia and I have a 30cm (12inch) scar on my shoulder where a skin cancer was removed,



The cancer was caused by me not using sunscreen when I should have.



By a means enjoy the pool or beach but take it from someone that has suffered the effects of over exposure to the sun.




I have just come back from Phuket where I suffered from bad reactions to mossie bites. However I am very allergic and always get a reaction. I had to see a local Dr to get the right medication.





I bought the insect repellent at home, I did have a look at some in a shop but cant remember the price and how much Deet is in them.





If you are allergic or suffer bad reactions then buy here from Millets and make sure that they contain over 50% Deet. If you are not allergic then either buy from Boots or in a local shop.





There is a Boots in Bangkok airport (domestic terminal) which if I remember was slightly cheaper then the UK.




A great way to deal with mosquito bites is cheap and simple. Go to a pharmacy and ask for ';Kwang Loong';, its a very small bottle of clear liquid (actually from China). Dab some on the bite and you%26#39;ll quickly forget about it. The bottles cost just a very few baht.




I always take some with me but go to the 7/11 and get their own called OFF it is the equivilent of 拢1.50.



There are watson and boots to buy stuff.





From a silly European!




Thanks for the info , good to see you can get the stuff what the locals use .



Many thanks



Also from a silly european , we are a silly lot arnt we .




I only just got back. Not much works. Buy the the DEET mozzie spray at the chemist/pharmacy stores. The popular 7-11 shops dont sell the best stuff.





I also suggest buying a mozzie room spray (about 拢1 or 60baht) and spraying in your room before you go out for the evening. It kills them off.





I bought the plug in mozzie repellants but they dont kill them and is useless!




I will be in Asia (HK, SIN and BKK)during the last week of May to early June. I keep reading about the many mosquitoes.......... I am assuming the problem is more at nights than in the day....correct? I have purposely selected either five star or deluxe accomodations with AC to be rid of those pesky insects.

No comments:

Post a Comment