Monday, April 16, 2012

Scam on Cambodia Visa Cost (by Maneerat Transport & Travel)

I took a Cambodia package tour with Maneerat Transport %26amp; Travel in Pattaya (on Soi Post Office).



When I arrived at a restaurant near the border at Poi Pet, an agent working for Maneerat asked me for 1200B visa cost plus his 100B handling fee (this fee was never mentioned by Maneerat). I asked him if I could pay US$20 (which was the info I had on the visa cost), but he said no. Unwillingly, I paid him 1300B. (1200 Baht is almost twice of US$20.)





Later, I asked some experienced travellers in Thailand about the visa cost issue and they confirmed I was ripped off by Maneerat.





I believe this is a systemic plot by Maneerat to rip travellers off on Cambodia visa cost. So when you are in Pattaya, never do business with Maneerat.





(Also, after I had passed Cambodian immigration, the driver took the group on the bus to a currency exchange place nearby. He told us exchange places were closed in the weekend (that day was Friday) in Siem Reap and we had better get our exchange there. This was just a lie as I found out later that there were plenty of exchange shops in Siem Reap that open 7 days a week. I did my homework and knew US$1 can get about 3,900 Cambodian Riels. That place quoted me the rate of US$1 to 3,200 Riels, which was a total ripoff. Of course, I did no exchange in the shop. Unfortunately, other people on the bus did some exchanges for their Bhat and US$.)



Scam on Cambodia Visa Cost (by Maneerat Transport %26amp; Travel)


You can download a Cambodian evisa to prevent any scams by tour companies or immigration officers:



http://evisa.mfaic.gov.kh/start.php



Scam on Cambodia Visa Cost (by Maneerat Transport %26amp; Travel)


This is a common scam by most travel agents (especially along Khao San Rd in Bangkok). There is plenty of warnings on the internet re this scam, so it is best to do it yourself. The best website with instructions on doing the overland trip by yourself is www.talesofasia.com





Reet x

No comments:

Post a Comment