Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Solo Kayak Suggestions

I%26#39;m going to be in Phuket with my sister from April 14 - 18. I want to go kayaking where I get to do my own paddling. I would also like to go somewhere where there wouldn%26#39;t be too many tourists and I can see a lot of Thailand%26#39;s nature. We are staying at the Marriott so something within relative proximity to that would be good. I would prefer a full day of kayaking w/ meals and stuff included. Any suggestions?



Solo Kayak Suggestions


I haven%26#39;t used them myself, but Paddle Asia has a good reputation. http://paddleasia.com/





There is also the very well known John Gray. http://www.johngray-seacanoe.com/



Solo Kayak Suggestions


I%26#39;ve done both John Grey and Paddleasia. We never got to canoe ourselves with John Grey which was kind of disappointing. Not sure if that%26#39;s so you can enjoy the scenery yourself or becuase it%26#39;s out in the sea so maybe rougher and therefore more difficult for the inexperienced. it was okay, but I didn%26#39;t come away feeling like I could recommend it highly. I guess it just wasn%26#39;t quite our thing as others do rate it highly.





However, we did the Paddleasia 2 night trip to Khao Sok in November and this was fantastic. My only regret - we didn%26#39;t stay longer. We chose this trip because their %26#39;thing%26#39; is birdlife and we were quite keen to see the hornbills. ( I am not into birds in a big way but there was a guy there who was and he was loving it too) the 2 guides were superb at spotting all the birds and telling us about them. The scenery was fantastic and we were in a group of 7, much larger than we had been told, but everyone was like-minded so it was fine. You are in the middle of nowehere, this is not the part of Khao Sok that most tourists go to. We were the only ones there for the 3 days and that was how we wanted it.





The set up is fairly basic, what impressed me most was that the loos were proper ones, not holes in the ground as I expected. I have to rave abtou this, we were both v ill when we arrived so they were much frequented! I am not into camping or roughing it, not am I a 5 star hotel person, but this was pleasant and just so different you couldn%26#39;t help but enjoy it.





Sorry, I%26#39;m droning on a bit about it. Let me know if you want to know anythign more about it. Their website is really informative and the chap (Dave) I emailed was really good at coming back. it%26#39;s not cheap but you really do get what you pay for. I think the do kayaking trips around Phuket so maybe that is more appropriate but if you can, Khao Sok would be great!





Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment