Thursday, March 29, 2012

';passport information';

Hi all





Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with childrens passports. My childs passport is due to expire this year. It still has 6 month validy from the date we leave Thailand. But only just scrapes by. However the photo is much different (as was taken when a baby. Just wondering if anyone has ever encounted any problems with this.





Thanks



';passport information';


To avoid problems, it might be a good idea to get a new passport.



';passport information';


Hey feesworld, was that you asked this question on Balitravelforum?If its valid, dont waste another 100 dollars on a passport.




Hi os here we come....





No was not me on bali forum. Do you have experience with this issue? I think I agree, it is valid so should not be a prob hey!




No I dont have experience, but in a couple of years time this will be me. Best place is to ask maybe? would be the Post Office as they can make the right connections. I wouldnt like to spend more money on a valid passport though.





Good Luck.



Adam.




Why waste over 6 months of a passport? I%26#39;d leave it be, I%26#39;m sure they%26#39;d be able to tell it%26#39;s your baby in the passport, especially since your names all match.




Hi feesworld,





We have been in your predicament. We travelled overseas when our child was 5 months old, so obviously the passport showed a baby photo. 3 years later we headed off again and I actually went into the passport office here in Adelaide to enquire.





They told me that because the existing passport showed a baby photo and our son was now 3 and a half years old (and definitely not recognizable by the baby photo) we would need to get a new passport for him. They went onto explain that the ';small'; fee payable (from memory I think it was around $60 in those days)could in fact save us a lot of trouble when entering and leaving the other country and that it was a requirement to have a ';resemblance'; photo in your passport.





Unfortunately this is one of the ';joys'; when travelling with children, a bit like outgrowing clothes before they%26#39;ve actually worn out!!





IMO I would spend the $100 (just think of it as another tax!) just to ensure that you have one less potential hitch you potentially could have to worry about.





Hope this helps.





Michelle




if this is the case then they sgould not sell you a 5 year passport. I think that if it was an issue they would only issue them for a couple of years. I would maybe contact the Thai embassy and ask and also enquire at post office. $100 goes a long way in Thailand so why waste it.



I am taking it that your passport will have at least 6 months left on it while you are in Thailand? Maybe if it ends up less than 6 months by the time you leave this to come home this may be a problem. Ask around. Email Thai Embassy and if they say it is ok print a copy and carry it with you.



Let us know how you get on as I may have this problem next year.



Cheers





Karin




Karin,





I know many years ago when my eldest had his first passport as a younger child (he is now 17 years old), it was actually free to update a photo as long as the passport wasn%26#39;t expired. Everything nowadays seems to have a ';processing fee or tax/levy'; attached to it!





The problem may not only be with the Thai entry/exit, it could also pose a problem here in Australia.





Feesworld, as well as contacting the Thai embassy as Karin suggsted, you could also take a look at the passport website www.dfat.gov.au, this may help, otherwise give the Australian Passport Office a call.





I do agree with Karin, $100aud goes a long way in Thailand and I for one don%26#39;t like paying fees and taxes if unavoidable.





I will be interested to know if you find out anything.





Michelle




Hello again





Thanks for all your responses. I have since rang the Aust. passport office, who actually said I would be better off applying for another passport (at the expense of $100 plus $75 for quick processing). They also suggested to ring the Thai consulate. I did and spoke to someone. Was a little difficult to communicate, but her response ';was as long as you have 6 months valid a child who has grown up in the photo is no problem';....However Im still a little concerned, would hate to run into problems. Yes I do agree with Karin, that they shouldnt allow passport for children for 5 years if you need to update them anyway before the expiry. Its a bit of a rip off!!




Hey if it was me, there would be no way I would be paying an extra $175 on a passport that is valid.Take proof (medicare card, birth certificate)that you have children of young age and tell them to nick off if you have problems.



To pay out extra, insults me.





Good Luck, but dont get suck in and pay more out of pocket.





Regards



Adam.

No comments:

Post a Comment