Thursday, March 29, 2012

Similans/Surins... But without diving/snorkeling?

I have seen so many lovely pictures from Similan and Surin islands. And I would really love to visit them while in Khao Lak.





But if I get it right, the tours that are made from Khao Lak to the Similans/Surin, are snorkeling+diving tours. Is there any way to get just to the islands without spending hours in the boat while others dive/snorkel? :?





I even considered of renting private speedboat, but the price was too dear form my budget (about 29 000 THB).





Me and my partener, we would just love to spend the day on the awesome beach, do some swimming and take lots of photos ;)





I just think the water/beach/nature looks so lovely:



鈥lickr.com/2347/1534141010_dcc59ce61e.jpg鈥?/a>





鈥lickr.com/116/315785109_b0402673f3.jpg鈥?/a>



Similans/Surins... But without diving/snorkeling?


If you go to Tab Lamu pier (about 10-15 minutes from KL, depending on where you are staying) I%26#39;m sure you will be able to get a ';day ticket'; transfer to the Similans, to and from ';Duck Island'; - best beach, pure white and crystal clear sea but VERY popular with tour boats - or ';Honeymoon Island'; where the HQ of the National Park Rangers is situated. Great beach, a small restaurant, you can walk across to the other side and there is great snorkelling from the beach.



The beach at Surins is not as nice for spending a day IMO.



Similans/Surins... But without diving/snorkeling?


I have been doing a lot of research on the Similans in preperation for my upcoming trip. Though I have no first-hand knowledge, this is what my guidebooks and websites tell me:



The National Park offers inexpensive boat transfers from Thap Lamu pier, but they don%26#39;t really follow a fixed schedule. Visit their office at the pier or call them at 08 7659 5045. There are also many tour operators that will give you a ';transfer-only'; price if you don%26#39;t want to snorkle - you can find their offices at the pier. These options will cost anywhere from 2000 to 3000 per person. You might even find a fishing boat willing to take you for 1000 or so. Your best bet is to head out to the pier before 8:00 (most boats leave around 8 - 8:30), and see what%26#39;s available. Transfers between the islands are offered by the National Park rangers and cost 150 - 300 per person, but again the schedule is erratic.



You may want to read http://www.similans.net/gettingto for more info about getting to the Similans.




Hi,





I%26#39;ve been looking into exactly the same thing including an over night stay.





I have been speaking to siam adventure divers who have told me they should be able to provide transport to and from the island by speedboat.





Try emailing them to see what they can do for you.





Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment