Thursday, March 29, 2012

Bangkok or Beijing

Hi there,





I will be in Hong Kong this June and I%26#39;m trying to decide where to go from there--I can go to either Bangkok or Beijing and I%26#39;m just wondering which you would choose.





I%26#39;ll post this in the Beijing forum as well.





Thank you!



Bangkok or Beijing


I would choose Bangkok as Beijing is a bit chaotic, to say the least, this year because of the Olympics.



Bangkok or Beijing


We were advised to avoid Beijing so we opted for HK instead. I think prices will be inflated because of the olympics and it will be over crowded with visitors for the olympics.





Bangkok is a good alternative (I would say better but have never been to Beijing)




I would definately choose Bangkok, but I am probably a bit baised having travelled to Thailand every year for the past 10 years! I went to Beijing last summer and didn%26#39;t really like it, it was so crowded, people were very rude and pushed you everywhere and they are still not used to tourists so the service was quite poor. Beijing is one to go just so you have seen the sights, but it will be a nightmare during olympic season!




I have been to both and would choose Bangkok over Beijing for a few reasons.



1. The Olympics



2. The accomodation is much superior in Bangkok



3. It%26#39;s easier to get around



4. They speak a little more English in Thailand



(makes it easier)





Having said that, there is a lot to do in Beijing, the great wall and amazing ancient buildings. The shopping is a little better in China but still great in Bangkok. The beds are hard in Beijing (well, they were where we stayed and it is a comment I%26#39;ve heard from other travellers) and the service is nothing like what you get in Thailand. Driving in a taxi can be hair raising in both cities. The hotel ammenities etc in Bangkok are of a fabulous standard (mind you we stayed at the Pen), they haven%26#39;t quite reached that level in Beijing though I bet it won%26#39;t be long. Food is cheep and good in both cities, Peking Duck... yum, tom yam goong... delicious. (Beer is cheeper in Beijing, NZ$4 each, not sure how to spell it but we loved asking for ';bing peejoe sare sare';. Cold beer thanks, I can do that in many languages)





We had a guide in Beijing and I%26#39;d recommend that, saw some of Bangkok on our own but did a couple of day trips with Tong%26#39;s Jerry. The best tip we had from hannah, our Beijing guide was, ';be careful at traffic lights, they%26#39;re just a suggestion';.





Wherever you go, I%26#39;m sure you%26#39;ll find it fascinating.



Have fun



Mandy

No comments:

Post a Comment