Monday, April 23, 2012

money

what is best. to bring cash with you to pattaya, debit card or travel cheques?



money


Debit card is a good thing if you don%26#39;t have a limit because usually in Pattaya it%26#39;s easy to spend more money as previous.



money


debit card is good ,but also bring some cash with you.What if your debit card was take by the atm machine happened to me once ,but had cash with me also.I think its best to have back up just in case




Also, tell your bank where you are going. Here in Aust, if you don%26#39;t, then there is a good chance that any transaction at an ATM overseas could cause a block on your card. I believe that would be the case for foreign banks a well, as they try to prevent fraud.





Definitely have a few options eg. cash, debit and credit cards.





regards





Niko




Debit/Credit card deffo........





TTs as a back-up





BUT as said above tell your bank you are going abroad....they may well stop your card after the first time it is used in Thailand.





Also check what the fees are.







there are ATMs everywhere and you can also use the exchange booths with card and passport if you are afraid of an ATM swallowing your only card.



You can also use it at the tills in shops.




If you have time open a Nationwide Flexaccount and get a Debit card, you will not be charged any commision or fees by the Nationwide or any Thai Bank when you withdraw money from an ATM and will get the official Bank exchange rate which is normally a couple of Bht better than changing travellers cheques at a currency exchange booth or at the bank.




Coisy I have travelled to Thailand over the past 15 years. Only the last trip Christmas I had some issues with money.



Most foreign currencies are accepted at the money changing booths, except some US dollars (I couldnt change $20 and notes as there was some fake ones about),I had to change them inside the bank and show my passport.



I have never had problems with the Aussie Dollar, or Euros.



I usually take a few hundred in travellers Cheques as emergency backup, just remember if you wish to change the cheques you need your passport. This can be a hassle at times, and I am paraniod that I could lose my passport.





Using the ATMs are ok, but check on what your bank charges per withdrawal. Ask your bank if they have arrangements with a Thai Bank, mine here in Australia has arrangements with the Bangkok Bank and they the fee is only $1.50 per transaction where others charge me $5.00.



If your bank does have some arrangements ask them what colour the ATMs are, ( in Thailand the ATMs are painted differnt colours depending which bank they belong to, the most common are yellow and dark blue,)





One word of warning, if you use a credit card do not let it out of your sight.



Always ring your bank and tell them that you will be overseas and give them a contact number.



I had one of my cards scanned and fraud was attempted on it whilst I was in Thailand, the bank here in Australia picked up unusual purchses and called me to confirm, the card was cancelled immediately.



If possible have some sort of backup plan if things go wrong.





No comments:

Post a Comment